Friday, March 8, 2013

It's National Middle Name Pride Day!

Now here's my kind of national holiday! Let's celebrate names, and why not the middle one? It's so overlooked by the world, but many parents agonize over the perfect one. It just sorta hangs out there, waiting to be needed or noticed...

I love middle names. What a great way for a parent to throw a little pizazz into a child's name. Maybe you have the name you just love but worry it's too different or can be easily teased, so you don't want to use it as a first name. Bam, middle name! Maybe you want to honor a family member who's so very close to you, but the name just really isn't your style? Bam, middle name! Or maybe you just like the sound of the name sandwiched between the first and last, that's fine too. You can do just about anything with a middle name.

One thing I found myself worried about for a very short while with my daughter's middle name (Wren) is that I found it on a middle name list someone referred to as "filler names." I was like what? Wren is a filler? Since when? I don't think it is, but then I realized that "fillers" are ok! There is absolutely nothing wrong with using "filler" names like James, Marie, Rose, William. Those are all solid names, and if you love how they flow with your child's first and last name, then go ahead! Don't let people convince you that they're boring names. If you love it, it's not boring, it's perfect :)

So take some time to think about your middle name today. Where did it come from? How is it special? Tell me about in the comments if you'd like! Do you love it or hate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment