Friday, January 18, 2013

Fandom Friday: J.R.R. Tolkien

Sometimes we draw inspiration for names from our favorite movies, TV shows, and books! I will try to talk about a different fandom once a month- Fandom Fridays!

Today's Fandom Friday is brought to you by one of my all-time faves- Lord of the Rings! I finally saw The Hobbit this last week (LOVED IT) and was of course inspired to watch the LotR trilogy this week. So of course, I got to thinking about names, as I do, so here's some thoughts I have.

One thing to be careful of when using names from a source as iconic as Tolkien's works- most people will be  very aware of where the name came from. If you wish to avoid too much teasing or harassment, then names like Gimli, Legolas, and Gandalf, should probably be left unused. However, I do think that there is a little more wiggle room in the middle name department! I think this may the best use of your favorite fandom name, and who knows, maybe they will love it and choose to go by it later in life!

So here's a list of my personal faves:
GIRLS:                                                          BOYS:
Galadriel                                                    Theoden (first name potential)
Arwen                                                          Elessar
Lorien (could be a  first name)         Meriadoc
Eowyn                                                          Peregrin
Amaranthe                                                 Thorin
Amarie
Rosie (first name for sure!)

If your a fan of more unusual first name, that's fine. Just be aware that going TOO unusual will only make things more difficult for your kiddo in life.

I have just but one favor... please don't name your kid Frodo. Or Shadowfax. Or Saruman. It's just rude.


No comments:

Post a Comment